Friday, January 04, 2008

Pancakes Barbara


One of the highlights of the New Year's retreat I attended in CT was the No-Talent Show. Since learning of the show back in August, I had been wrestling with whether or not I would get up and do a little juggling. I brought some props and said yes when asked. I was ridiculously nervous, even though there could not be a more enthusiastic and supportive audience.

I worked up a little magic and juggling routine with my friend Nick who appeared as my lovely assistant, Miss Direction. Despite a modest number of drops, I managed to pull off a solid performance of juggling and card manipulation and some entertaining bits with Nick. I was having fun, and I think that came across (despite my wistful expression in the photo.)

However, the uncontested shining star of the show was the dazzling Pancakes Barbara who did an encore performance of the number that won her the Miss Sobriety crown recently in NYC. I'm told the gown, the hair, and the personality are an historically accurate nod to some movie musical performance, but alas I never paid attention in Gay Camp 101 so I'm not sure of the exact reference. However, it is obvious to anyone that Pancakes has class, poise, personality and a riveting connection with her audience. Her performance below from the Miss Sobriety Pageant is a study in specificity. That gal is going places!


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home